A Timeline of Our History
Artist Max Cole's depiction of the church in 1861. The church would have been 22 years old - having been established in 1839.
The church congregation poses for a photograph on November 17, 1877. Note the brick columns and the placement of the doors.
In 1882, a balcony originally used by slaves was removed and the ceiling over the nave was beautifully arched and frescoed. In 1899 a pressed metal ceiling and chandeliers were installed.
In the 1920's, a three-story educational building was added behind the sanctuary.
The congregation poses for a photograph - note the placement of the doors and the steps.
The church was originally constructed of red bricks made by slaves. In order to preserve the brick, it was covered in stucco in 1927.
The congregation sits during a sermon in the 1930's - note the Marvin Window and the absence of the balcony. The balcony would not be added until 1949.
The choir poses in front of the old organ in the sanctuary. This organ was eventually given to Summit Methodist Church when the new one was donated in 1941 by Mr. and Mrs. Frank Davis.
Presumably taken during a sermon or wedding, this photo highlights the placement of the Marvin Window, which sits between the front doors of the church.
In 1949, the gym (known now as Beard Hall) and a connecting three-story classroom building were added. It was at this time that the sanctuary was remodeled with a new chancel area and foyer.
In 1949, more remodeling was done to the church sanctuary - this time to include the balcony, foyer, and moving the Marvin Window to the front of the building. Curved steps were also added on each side leading up to the large oak doors.
This is an interior view of the sanctuary taken around 1949 and featuring the church's new organ. The organ was donated by Mr. and Mrs. Frank Davis in 1941.
In 1956, the property behind the church was purchased to build the Guy F. Jones Chapel, parlor, kitchenette, classrooms, and mechanical rooms.
Built in 1958, this picture shows the Guy F. Jones Chapel and classrooms as seen in 2005.
In 1995, construction began on the Family and Children Center where the Christian Life Center and the Day School are now located. The Day School is one of the oldest preschool programs among churches in Texas.
At a cost of over $1 million, the Family and Children Center was a major undertaking! This was the fifth major construction effort since the structure of the church was begun in 1861. This building was dedicated in May of 1997.
"Christmas time at our church"
First United Methodist Church of Marshall, TX. "May all who come behind us find us faithful."
Lineage of Leaders
A complete list of pastors from 1839 to the present.